Sunday, February 3, 2013

Post 2: Unpacking the Myths that Bind Us: Reflection



“Without giving students an outlet for despair, I was indeed creating “factories of cynicism” in my classroom and it wasn't pretty” (134-135). Linda Christensen's article is everything I thought it would be and more for may reasons. As she describes her students frustrations and cognitive misers with the truths behind our societies cultural industry brainwashing, manipulating, and creating our very own realities. The media? magazines? cartoons? advertisements? all of these things that we have been paying attention to and not realizing the underlying motives? Who in their right minds would use cartoons as a gateway to controlling and teaching the people of the world how to understand and do things in everyday life on such a massive scale? As soon as we are birthed these images and ways of doing things are being programmed in our minds. I could understand some of these students reactions of dismissal,anger,anxiety, and agony. Its everywhere all around us and it is very overwhelming and forceful against us whom are conscious of such deception. I was a victim to these form of deception and manipulation I watched all of these movies and I loved ariel and I hated Ursula for taking Ariels voice because she so desperately wanted to be human to find her true love that she had to sacrifice something valuable to her for a man. Just makes me think about all of the times I had put up with disrespect or acceptance of being devalued. How else was I supposed to handle certain life situations when I was only taught to be submissive, weak, and accepting of wrong doings that hurt me. Growing up on these cartoons, toys, and magazines it never really clicked as to why there were not dolls of different races white was just the “norm” I suppose I came to accept that and now that I look back at my upbringing I am disgusted. I feel angered at the lack of change I feel happy but sad because I can teach others to be conscious of these societal industries that brainwash people to have a specific ideological viewpoint without even knowing it but in despair because it is so damaging to humanity and such a huge battle that needs to be fought. I am no longer a victim to these dominant cultural practices but I was at one point brainwashed and a robot to these media images of what I should look like, how I should act, how I should dress, and who I should pursue and love. 

My concerns are that although I take steps to fight this battle I may not live to see the change I so desperately want.

2 comments:

  1. Wow your story is very deep and touching. I'm sorry you had to go through that pain of disrespect of not being valued as YOU. The media only shows what they think is right. But those working behind the camera don't acknowledge the hurt and pain many go through. Many people are brainwashed into these shows/movies is because the true hidden messages are in fact kept "Hidden". Its not shown in the public eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela- we should chat. Your posts/work here are good and your visuals and stuff are appropriate certainly. I know the work you are capable of in this area in a variety of ways and I want to talk to you about it to make sure you are challenging yourself.
    CS

    ReplyDelete